Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Un Bicchiere Di...

Before going to live in Italy, I expected to fall in love with many things - good wine, beautiful scenery, the morning espresso, architecture, perhaps even a nice Italian man (which, for the record, never happened)... but the one thing I didn't expect to fall in love with was something that I had everyday of my life - water. To my surprise, the country was able to fine tune my taste buds to appreciate something far simpler than a glass of Chianti. It was in Florence that I fell in love with water.


While overseas, I became accustomed to hearing "con gas o naturale?" [Translation: "sparkling or still?"] Sure, when you order water at a restaurant in America you can specifically ask for a bottle of sparkling water, but unless specified, you can expect to receive the same tap water they use to water plants. In Italy, it's just the opposite - no tap water unless requested. There's something far more elegant and appealing about receiving water from a glass bottle.


My favorite sparkling option: San Pellegrino
My favorite still option: Acqua Panna

1 comment:

  1. hey kira! thanks for joining my blog, i didn't know you had one too!

    Although I drink tap water most of the time (it tastes REALLY good here) I have definitely learned to love sparkling water here in Europe. One thing that they do here in Austria is never drink pure juice, they always water it down either with tap or sparkling water. This is quite refreshing (apple juice with sparkling water for example, i like it even more than sparkling cider!)

    I like getting sparkling water at restaurants but I don't like it when they force you to buy water, that's just lame.

    Hope boulder is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete